On June 8 more than 350 members of the Seton Hall community came together to recognize Setonians who positively contribute to the world through servant leadership.
The 33rd annual Many Are One gala celebrated a lifetime of leadership for outgoing Seton Hall Interim President Mary J. Meehan '72/M.A. '74/Ph.D. '01. During President Meehan's tenure, among other accomplishments, Seton Hall welcomed its largest freshman class in history, achieved one of the highest graduation rates among national universities for Black and Hispanic students in the country, rose to 25th in the nation for social mobility, increased the giving rate of graduating seniors from 12% to 60% and of undergraduate alumni from 8.3 to 10.2%.
In addition, President Meehan oversaw the construction and completion of Bethany Hall; the new Interprofessional Health Sciences campus in Clifton and Nutley; and the opening of the Hackensack Meridian School of Medicine at Seton Hall. Working with the Office of the Provost, she also started the Buccino Leadership Institute, a University-wide interdisciplinary program patterned on the successful Stillman program and designed to cultivate the next generation of ethical servant leaders.
In her remarks, President Meehan reflected on her Seton Hall career—both as a student and an administrator: "My career has been one filled with joy, and at times challenge, but at every step Seton Hall was a guiding force," Meehan said. "From a life-changing internship as a senior, to serving on a Seton Hall advisory board when I was a hospital CEO, Seton Hall has shown me the way. Perhaps no influence other than my faith has been as profound as my relationship with Seton Hall."
After her term as interim president ends, Meehan will return to where her Seton Hall career began: the classroom. Meehan will join the faculty of the College of Education and Human Services in the fall of 2019.
Other honorees at Many Are One included alumni from each college and school of the University.
- Jeanne Brasile, M.A. '04, College of Communication and the Arts in recognition of her passion for the arts and her dedication to supporting the next generation of arts professionals.
- Martin Foncello, J.D. '05, School of Law for his distinguished career in law and experience in litigation, complex investigations and independent compliance examinations.
- Clayton A. Graham '77, College of Arts and Sciences for his contributions to public service and continued commitment to serving his community.
- Stephanie Hauge, M.B.A. '78/ M.A.T. '15, Stillman School of Business for her accomplishments as a leader in business, paving the path for future businesswomen.
- Maryann Hobbie, M.A. '02, Immaculate Conception Seminary School of Theology for her embodiment of selfless servant leadership.
- Sarah Husseini, M.A. '12, School of Diplomacy and International Relations for her passionate and tireless work in fostering global diplomatic relations and her contribution to the United Nations.
- Timothy Purnell, Ed.D. '08, College of Education and Human Services for his passion and enthusiasm for education and his dedication to the community.
- Veronica F. Rempusheski '75, College of Nursing in recognition of her notable career in nursing and education.
- Nicholas Santos, M.S. '13, School of Health and Medical Sciences for his dedication to the field of athletic training and education.
The Many Are One gala celebrates the legacy of servant leadership at Seton Hall and helps to ensure the education of future students through the Many Are One Alumni Endowed Scholarship Fund. Donations support this fund, which provides four-year scholarships for children, grandchildren and siblings of alumni. The emcee of the evening, Steve Adubato, announced that the 2019 Many Are One event campaign raised more than $100,000 for scholarships.
Click here to learn about sponsorships opportunities, and contact Jamie Cook at (973) 378-9849 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
|arguments from uri.curlme() - struct|
|CURLSTRING||--head --location https://api.flickr.com/services/rest/?method=flickr.photosets.getPhotos&photoset_id=72157708992673982&user_id=8166339@N08&api_key=9fa070314b461e5809cf6bc28e8ded3d&format=json&nojsoncallback=1|
|curlData from uri.curlme() - struct|
|RESULTERROR||% Total % Received % Xferd Average Speed Time Time Time Current Dload Upload Total Spent Left Speed 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:-- 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:-- 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:-- 0|
|RESULTRAW||HTTP/2 200 content-type: application/json date: Sat, 18 Jan 2020 15:55:10 GMT server: Apache/2.4.41 (Ubuntu) x-content-type-options: nosniff x-frame-options: SAMEORIGIN x-cache: Miss from cloudfront via: 1.1 156336391961f724345f6534c674b6eb.cloudfront.net (CloudFront) x-amz-cf-pop: IAD89-C3 x-amz-cf-id: wO-ht-BthkpibkYiT9qdzKr4G04_BvUj0C48Tx0k6hLHU0lx_RNibQ==|